Thursday, March 11, 2010

Tonight's Movie

Splendor in the Grass. Recommended because I "really liked" (via Netflix) The Lover. Different movies. I love the retro. Early 90's depicting colonial Indochina/60's-ish depiction of the Great Depression Era.
Ended up liking Splendor MORE than The Lover because it does twist and build to a final thesis point that isn't too dumb and/or predictable and...I can't compare the emotional state at the end of each female lead cause I'll RUIN it(!)
And they're both doing things (the films). There are questionable aspects re: feminism and whatnot
which I won't get into right now because not all of us have taken women's studies courses and I can't dumb down my analysis for you, Kyle.
"you're a nice girl"

"I'm NOT a nice girl! I'm not! I don't have any pride!"

but everyone's so beautiful and put together with the wasp waists and also, in Splendor, there is less child/man type sexy love and less of an issue of race. Sigh. Those poor whites.
There is no sexy love. God. Yes. BUt
watch these two movies two nights in a row and see how you are also affected.

1 comment:

k said...

You can deconstruct a piece of art from a feminist perspective without having taken a womens studies course, just sayin'.